It is now Eastern Time (EDT) on .
This competition is closed by the host. MEET CANCELLED. REFUNDS PENDING.
Wed, Jan 15, 2020
Mon, Mar 16, 2020
- CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19. REFUNDS PENDING.
- JMLS will be a one-day event on Sunday, May 24, 2020 — 1-mile and 2-mile swims plus nonconforming relay and team competitions during both swims.
- 1-Mile Team Competition: There will be a team competition during the 1-Mile race. Teams are comprised of all 1-mile swimmers from the following categories—members of USMS Clubs, members of FINA Masters Clubs, Unattached swimmers organized by LMSC, and OEVT swimmers. You do not have to sign up or pay for this competition in order to participate. The cumulative times of the three fastest swimmers on a team will be that team’s score.
- 2 by 1-Mile Sequential Relay: There will be a 2 by 1-mile sequential relay run during the 2-Mile race. Each team is made up of two participants who swim 1-mile consecutively. Relay teams may consist of any two swimmers regardless of gender, swimwear, club affiliation, or membership status. You must sign up for the relay during the normal registration process. Sequential Relay swimmers may not participate in the individual 2-mile race.
- Entries open Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 12:00 PM EST.
- Entries close Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 11:59 PM EDT.
- No entry changes after entry closing date. This includes any new entries, added swims, or changed entry information.
- Sanction: Sanctioned by Potomac Valley LMSC for USMS, Inc., Sanction #: 100-W001
- Location: Lake Audubon, 2070 Twin Branches Rd, Reston, VA (Map & Directions)
- Course Map: 1-mile trapezoid-shaped open water course (map). Swim counterclockwise beginning at Lake Audubon Pool end.
- Host: Reston Masters Swim Team
- Event website: JMLS Event Information
- Event Timeline
- 6:00am: Check-in opens (all races)
- 7:30am: 1-Mile Line-up and Safety Briefing
- 8:00am: 1-Mile race begins
- 9:00am: 2-Mile Check-in closes
- 9:15am: 2-Mile & 2 by 1-mile relay Line-up and Safety Briefing
- 9:45am: 2-Mile race begins
- 9:45am: 2 by 1-Mile Sequential Relay begins
- 11:30am: Race course clean-up begins - all are welcome...
- 12:00pm: Clean-up is complete
- Facebook: JMLS Facebook Page
- Info: Michele Cox or Lynn Hazlewood, Email: email@example.com
- Timing and scoring: Lin-Mark Sports (Chronotrack authorized timing company)
- Online Entries: This event will use online entries only — No Paper Entries
- Eligibility: Minimum participation age is 18 by race event date. Swimmers must be registered with USMS or be a Masters swimming member of a FINA member federation or obtain a USMS One Event registration (OEVT). Proof of membership must be presented during the registration process.
- Proof of Membership: If you do not have proof of membership, during the first step of the event registration process, you will be given an opportunity to obtain a copy of your USMS membership card or purchase either a USMS membership directly from USMS or a USMS OEVT registration ($15 paid at checkout).
Swims offered Sunday, May 24, 2020 (to be swum in the order listed):
Swimmers may enter the 1-mile and 2-mile swim (or 2 by 1-mile relay). Entry limit is a maximum of 350 swimmers in the water simultaneously.
- 1-mile Race: CAT I & CAT II divisions; time limit 50 minutes.
- 2-mile Race: Choose one
- 2-mile Individual Swim: CAT I and CAT II divisions; time limit 90 minutes. All 2-mile contestants who have not completed the first 1-mile lap within 45 minutes will be directed to exit the course as they pass the boat ramp.
- 2 by 1-Mile Sequential Relay: Time limit 50 minutes per swimmer. Team members names, including a unique team name, must be identified during registration. Relay teams may consist of any swimmers regardless of gender, swimwear, club affiliation, or membership status. Swimmers in the 2 by 1-mile sequential relay must be entered in the event, including payment of fees, and may not swim in the individual 2-mile race.
- Entry Deadline: Entries close 11:59 PM EDT on Sunday, May 17, 2020.
- Entry Updates: Entry updates will be allowed prior to entry closing. Contact Registrars to request changes.
- Entry Update Deadline: No entry updates (new entries, added swims, or changed entries) after entry closing date.
Fee schedule—Online entries are paid by credit card to "ClubAssistant.com Events":
- $40 Event Entry Fee (required)
- $1.50 Online Entry Service Fee (required)
- $15 OEVT Fee (for swimmers not USMS or FINA registered)
- $50 Per Race Entry (required for each race entered)
- Refunds, Transfers, and Deferrals: There are no refunds, no deferrals of fees to next year and no selling/transfer of slots in swims. Swimmers will be required to confirm agreement with this policy before submitting their entry.
- Seeding: Swims are seeded fast to slow using the 1650 yard time. Seeding is by waves with 25 swimmers per wave.
- Timing Chips: Participants in swims will wear timing chips.
- Temperature Restrictions: No wetsuits or heat retaining swimwear in water above 78 degrees. If swimmers are not able to meet the requirements for CAT I swimwear, then they may swim in CAT II with non-heat retaining swimwear and other swimwear configurations allowed in CAT II (see Swimwear Categories below).
- Water Quality: Reston lakes are managed by Reston Association, which does not maintain the lakes to swimming standards. Approximately one week before the race, RA will test the water and if deemed unsafe, RMST will cancel the event.
- Scoring Divisions for Races: Scoring divisions for conforming events are divided by overall, gender, five year age groups and swimwear category. All scoring divisions in a race swim simultaneously and are scored separately. You may swim in only one scoring division for each race distance. You may change your Swimwear Category at the starting line.
- Swimwear Categories: USMS Category I (CAT I): swimsuits shall be made from textile materials; may not be buoyant or heat retaining; for both men and women, the swimsuit shall not cover the neck and shall not extend past the shoulder nor below the ankles. USMS Category II (CAT II): all other swimsuits, including wetsuits; no restriction on coverage. There are other differences, which you should be familiar with, so there are no surprises on race day. Swimwear categories are defined in Article 303.4 Swimwear for Open Water Events (www.usms.org/rules/part3.pdf, 2020 USMS Rule Book, pg 70.)
- Individual Awards: Awards for conforming events will be given to 1st through 3rd place for age group scoring divisions.
- 1-Mile Team Competition: Awards will be given to the fastest three swimmers on the top 6 teams.
- 2 by 1-Mile Relay Awards: Awards will be given to the swimmers on the top three women's teams, top three men's teams, and top three mixed-gender teams. Age groups and CAT I/II will not be broken out.
- T-shirts: Each 1-mile or 2-mile race participant will receive a maximum of one t-shirt with their entry.
- Food: Lunch and drinks will be provided. Please remember to also bring your own fluids.
- Host Hotel: Courtyard Dulles Airport Herndon / Reston, 533 Herndon Parkway, Herndon, VA 20170, 1-703-478-9400. Guests may book online by clicking on the hotel name above or call 800-321-2211 and reference the ‘Jim McDonnell Lake Swim room block‘ at the Courtyard Herndon/Reston to make reservations at the group rate ($79 / night). Please note the following for the Jim McDonnell Lake Swim Room Block:
Start date: 5/22/2020
End date: 5/25/2020
Last day to book: 5/1/2020
Please note the cut-off date listed above, and make your reservations prior to this date.
- Benefit: The Jim McDonnell Lake Swims donate a portion of the event proceeds to charity. Beneficiaries in 2019 were Lymphoma Research Foundation (https://www.lymphoma.org), Cornerstones (https://www.cornerstonesva.org), and Bite Me Cancer (http://www.bitemecancer.org).
Note: If paying by credit card, your credit card statement will reflect a charge from "ClubAssistant.com Events."
Online Registration closed on 3/16/2020.