It is now Eastern Time (EST) on .
Tue, Mar 26, 2019
Sun, May 19, 2019
New for 2019
- JMLS will be a one-day event on Sunday, May 26, 2019 — 1-mile and 2-mile swims only.
- New trapezoid-shaped swim course (map). Swim counterclockwise beginning at Lake Audubon Pool end.
- All 2-mile contestants who have not completed the first 1-mile lap within 45 minutes will be directed to exit the course as they pass the boat ramp.
- Entries close Sunday, May 19, 11:59 PM EDT.
- No entry changes (new entries, added swims, or changed entries) after entry closing date.
- Sanction: Sanctioned by Potomac Valley LMSC for USMS, Inc., Sanction #: 109-W001
- Location: Lake Audubon, 2070 Twin Branches Rd, Reston, VA (Map & Directions)
- Course Map: 1-mile open water course (map). Swim counterclockwise beginning at Lake Audubon Pool end.
- Host: Reston Masters Swim Team
- Event website: JMLS Event Information
- Facebook: JMLS Facebook Page
- Info: Lynn Hazlewood or Michele Cox, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Timing and scoring: Lin-Mark Sports (Chronotrack authorized timing company)
- Online Entries: This event will use online entries only — No Paper Entries
- Eligibility: Minimum participation age is 18 by race event date. Swimmers must be registered with USMS or be a Masters swimming member of a FINA member federation or obtain a USMS One Event registration (OEVT). Proof of membership must be presented during the registration process.
- Purchase USMS Membership or USMS OEVT: If you do not have proof of membership, during the first step of the event registration process, you will be given an opportunity to purchase either a USMS membership directly from USMS or a USMS OEVT registration ($30 paid at checkout).
Swims offered Sunday, May 26, 2019 (to be swum in the order listed):
Swimmers may enter both the 1-mile and 2-mile swims.
- 1-mile Swim (CAT I & CAT II divisions; entry limit 350 swimmers; time limit 50 minutes).
- 2-mile Swim (CAT I & CAT II divisions; entry limit 350 swimmers; time limit 90 minutes). All 2-mile contestants who have not completed the first 1-mile lap within 45 minutes will be directed to exit the course as they pass the boat ramp.
- Entry Deadline: Entries close 11:59 PM EDT on Sunday, May 19, 2019.
- Entry Updates: Entry updates will be allowed prior to entry closing. Contact Registrars to request changes.
- Entry Update Deadline: No entry updates (new entries, added swims, or changed entries) after entry closing date.
Fee schedule—Online entries are paid by credit card to "ClubAssistant.com Events":
- $30 Event Entry Fee (required)
- $1.50 Online Entry Service Fee (required)
- $30 OEVT Fee (for swimmers not USMS or FINA registered)
- $40 Per Race Entry (required for each race entered)
- Seeding: Swims are seeded fast to slow using the 1650 yard time. Seeding is by waves with 25 swimmers per wave.
- Timing Chips: Participants in swims will wear timing chips.
- Temperature Restrictions: No wetsuits or heat retaining swimwear in water above 78 degrees. If swimmers are not able to meet the requirements for CAT I swimwear, then they may swim in CAT II with non-heat retaining swimwear and other swimwear configurations allowed in CAT II (see Swimwear Categories below).
- Water Quality: Reston lakes are managed by Reston Association, which does not maintain the lakes to swimming standards. Approximately one week before the race, RA will test the water and if deemed unsafe, RMST will cancel the event.
- Scoring Divisions for Races: Scoring divisions are divided by overall, gender, five year age groups and swimwear category. All scoring divisions in a race swim simultaneously, but are scored separately. You may swim in only one scoring division for each race distance. You may change your Swimwear Category at the starting line.
- Swimwear Categories:USMS Category I (CAT I): swimsuits shall be made from textile materials; may not be buoyant or heat retaining; for both men and women, the swimsuit shall not cover the neck and shall not extend past the shoulder nor below the ankles. USMS Category II (CAT II): all other swimsuits, including wetsuits; no restriction on coverage. There are other differences, which you should be familiar with, so there are no surprises on race day. Swimwear categories are defined in Article 303.4 Swimwear for Open Water Events (www.usms.org/rules/part3.pdf, 2019 USMS Rule Book, pg 70.)
- JMLS Refund/Transfer/Deferral/Cancellation Policy:
Refunds, Transfers and Deferrals: There are no refunds except in the case of partial or total cancellation of the event (see Cancellation Policy). There are no deferrals of fees to next year and no selling/transfer of slots in swims.
Cancellation Policy: The Jim McDonnell Lake Swims Cancellation Policy operates under the rules and administrative regulations of U.S. Masters Swimming (2019 USMS Rule Book, Page 74, Article 303.11.1 and 303.11.2). With the exception of pre-cancellation, conditions under which postponement/cancellation of a swim, stoppage of a swim in progress and/or cancellation of the entire event usually involve issues that cannot be fully known ahead of time. We will endeavor to put the event on as advertised, but if it is not safe to put swimmers in the water, we will determine if an incomplete race should be declared “finished” and cancel the races that have not been started. In that case, we will distribute shirts and provide food. We will not re-schedule cancelled swims. We cannot provide FULL refunds.
- Awards: Awards will be given to 1st through 3rd place for age group scoring divisions.
- T-shirts: Each 1-mile or 2-mile race participant will receive a maximum of one t-shirt with their entry.
- Food: Lunch and drinks will be provided. Please remember to also bring your own fluids.
- Host Hotel: Marriott Courtyard Herndon Reston, located at 533 Herndon Parkway, Herndon VA 20170-5226. There will be a block of 10 rooms for the night of 5/25/2019, at a rate of $89/night. The cutoff to get that rate is May 4th 2019, when the rooms will be released. Room Block Name Reference: Jim McDonnell Lake Swim Room Block, May 25-26; Reservation Phone#: 800-321-2211; Reservation Link: https://www.marriott.com/events/start.mi?id=1551714271067&key=GRP.
- Benefit: The Jim McDonnell Lake Swims donate a portion of the event proceeds to charity. Beneficiaries in 2018 were Lymphoma Research Foundation (https://www.lymphoma.org) and F.I.S.H. (https://herndonrestonfish.org).
Note: If paying by credit card, your credit card statement will reflect a charge from "ClubAssistant.com Events."
Online Registration closed on 5/19/2019.