Registration for the
17th Fat Salmon Open Water Swim
Event hosted by: Orca Swim Team
When: Saturday, July 16, 2016
Where: MADISON PARK
- 6:15 - 7:15 AM: Check-in
- 7:20 AM: Pre-Race Meeting - MANDATORY for all swimmers
- 7:35 AM: Carpool to 3.2-mile start (at Day Street Boat Ramp)
DAY STREET BOAT RAMP
- 8:15 AM: Start 1st wave, swimmers will be sent off in 5 separate waves scheduled every 3 minutes.
SAFETY: Large buoys (approx. every 1/2 mile) will mark the course. Motor boats, kayaks and lifeguards will be located along the perimeter of the course. Swimmers must wear the swim caps provided at check-in. A MANDATORY safety meeting will be held before the event start. Friends and family who are not registered for this event cannot swim along with you. Lake temperature can vary: be prepared for cold water.
MORE ABOUT SAFETY & PULLING SWIMMERS: We must maintain a certain swimmer-to-boat ratio to keep our permit AND, more importantly, to keep everyone safe. Swimmers that fall too far behind the pack will be pulled. Additionally, if you are not on target to finish the 3.2 mile event in 2 hours or less, you will be pulled.
RULES: Current USMS rules will govern this event.
- The use of neoprene wet suits or other nonporous attire IS allowed.
- Fins, pull buoys, snorkels, MP3 players are NOT allowed.
- Any questions, refer to USMS guidelines.
- NO filling of no-show slots.
- There will be NO refunds or exchange of entries.
- Someone else cannot swim for you - this jeopardizes our insurance.
- There will be NO SWIMMING if you have not checked in ON TIME and attended the pre-race safety meeting.
- If you lose your timing chip, you MUST tell a race official that you got out of the water or we may think that you drowned and call search & rescue. Don't make us do that.
LOCATION: The event runs between the I-90 and 520 floating bridges along Seattle’s Lake Washington waterfront. The 3.2 Mile Race starts at Day Street Boat Ramp at the west end of the I-90 Bridge span, and ends at Madison Park in Seattle (E. Madison St. & E. Howe St). Pre-race check-in is at Madison Park where the race ends. Swimmers are responsible for transportation from the registration area to the race starts. Parking at the start area is extremely limited; carpooling is encouraged. See RACE MAP.
AWARDS: A whole salmon will be awarded to the fastest male and female swimmers in both the wetsuit and non-wetsuit divisions of the 3.2-Mile Race. Ribbons will be available for the top three finishers in all 5-yr age groups, in both divisions. Each registered participant will be given one event t-shirt, size to be selected during the event registration.
MERCHANDISE: Fat Salmon 2016 sweatshirts are available to order during the registration process for $35. A very limited number may be available on the day of the event so best to order with your registration to guarantee getting your size.
- Swimmers must be 18 years of age as of July 16, 2016 and:
- Currently registered with USMS or FINA or Canadian Masters, or…
- Pay an additional $22 “One-Event USMS Registration” fee.
Entry fees (pre-registration only available online):
$65.00 – Early entry in May
$75.00 – June 1 thru June 30
$85.00 - July 1 and later
$22.00 – "One-Event" USMS registration (as needed, see eligibility)
Online Entries are paid by credit card to "ClubAssistant.com Events."
(Day of Race Entries will be allowed this year however late registrants must arrive and register by 6:30am the day of the event.)
WANT TO SWIM FOR FREE?: We are offering a free registration in the form of a refund AFTER THE EVENT if you provide two kayak volunteers (each with their own kayaks) OR one motorboat or jetski adult volunteer with their one motorcraft on the day of the event. This refund is only for the Fat Salmon entry fee (excludes one-event USMS registration fee if applicable). When your boating volunteers register to help (see link below), have them indicate they are volunteering on your behalf.
PRE-REGISTRATION CLOSES on July 12th at 11:59 pm PDT or sooner if full to capacity.
A note about that USMS "One-Event" Fee… Your $22 lets you participate in this USMS-sanctioned event. For $30 more, enjoy a full-year USMS membership including access to pool meets, clinics, coaches, open water swims and magazine subscription. Contact PNARegistrar@usms.org for more info or to join.
IMPORTANT LINKS: Facebook, FS FAQs, Time Guidelines & Safety Info
Kayakers are needed. Have them send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Motor Boats, & Jet Skis are also needed! Contact us at email@example.com
If you have questions about your registration or need to make changes to your registration, contact Jim Lasersohn, Fat Salmon Registration Coordinator via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Still have questions? Contact Meghan Meinerz, Race Director
via email: email@example.com