USMS 10-Mile Open Water National Championship
Saturday, July 26, 2014
Lake Minnetonka, Wayzata/Excelsior, MN
Hosted by: Hopkins Masters/Genesis Aquatics
Sanction # 304-W001
(ONLINE REGISTRATION IS PREFERRED)
EVENT: 2014 USMS 10-MILE OPEN WATER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP:
The course is a straight swim across the lake and back (“two lengths”). The straight-line distance between two beaches on Lake Minnetonka (Wayzata Beach & Excelsior Beach) is 5-miles. Individual swimmers will swim “one length” from Wayzata Beach to Excelsior Beach, and back to Wayzata Beach. Separate from the national championship: Relays and a 5-mile swim… Visit website for more info.
LOCATION/FACILITY: Wayzata Beach, 220 Grove Ln E, Wayzata, MN 55391. Lake temperature in late July is usually between 75-80 F.
CHECK-IN & START TIMES (CST):
- Technical Meeting: Friday, July 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM, at Wayzata Beach (required for new participants)
- Race Day CHECK-IN: 5:00-5:30 AM
- Race Day Meeting: 5:45 AM
- First wave start (6 hr+ seed times): 6:00 AM
- Second wave start (5 - 6 hr seed times): 6:30 AM
- Third/Final wave start (< 5 hr seed times): 7:00 AM
TIME LIMIT: Must be at the 5-mile (half-way/turn-around) by 9:30AM or you will be disqualified and asked to stop.
- This is a USMS-sanctioned event. All participants must be 18-years or older as of July 26, 2014 and be a 2014 registered member of USMS or equivalent FINA organization for foreign swimmers.
- Foreign swimmers are not eligible for USMS All-American status.
- USMS “One-Event” registration is NOT allowed for USMS Open Water National Championship events, but is available for USMS Open Water Non-Championship events or races.
- Swimmers who cannot complete the 5-Miles or 10-Miles within the established TIME LIMIT are recommended not to enter the open water event.
RULES: Current USMS rules will govern this event. Only Category 1 swimwear is allowed in the national championship.
ENTRY FEES (Online Entry is preferred):
Two registration deadlines:
- $75; received by June 30, 2014
- $100; received by July 15, 2014
- No entries after 11:59pm Central time on July 15, 2014
- Event registration will close when 80 entries have been received. Fee includes: T-shirt, swim cap, goody bag & snacks.
- NO REFUNDS FOR ANY REASON!
- Online entries are paid by credit card to ClubAssistant.com Events.
START/FINISH: All swims start and finish on Wayzata Beach (water’s edge) with finish about 5-10 feet from water’s edge.
TIMING: Manual timing with three back-ups. All finish times recorded and matched to finish order (by race number).
RESULTS: Results will post when available at www.USMS.org and https://sites.google.com/site/minnetonkachallenge/
SAFETY: There are boats on this lake (boaters, skiers, fishers, etc). Every swimmer must have an escort (canoe/kayak and paddler). Those coming from outside of MN may rent a canoe/kayak and request a paddler. Contact the race director for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org). Safety boats and lifeguards will monitor the entire course. Swimmers must wear race cap and numbers on arms and back for identification. Medical personnel will be at start and 5-mi. Athletes will enter the water only after being identified and recorded by race number by a race official. In case of severe weather or other safety issue, the race may be postponed, cancelled or abandoned without refund. Safety info: https://sites.google.com/site/minnetonkachallenge/safety.
SEEDING: Swimmers will self-seed in heats according to estimated time. All swimmers must provide a real or estimated seedtime. The Event Director reserves the right to change seeding.
AWARDS: First USMS finisher in each gender/age group will be designated Long Distance All American. USMS National Championship medals will be awarded to the top six finishers by age group and gender. Standard USMS age groups will apply. USMS Long Distance Championship patches will be awarded to gold medalists in each age group. Merchandise may be awarded to age group medalists.
LODGING/CAMPING/PLACES OF INTEREST:
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson 210 Carlson Parkway, Plymouth MN 55447 PH: 763.473.3008
- “Home-stays” with local USMS families may be available. Contact Event Director.
AIRPORT: Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP), about 30-min. by car from venue.
DIRECTIONS: (Google Map: Wayzata Beach, Wayzata, MN)
From MSP Airport: Follow 5W/494 south to 494 West. Follow 18 miles to Exit 19B (Hwy 12/394 west). Follow 2 miles to Central Ave exit. Turn left at Central Ave signal, turn right at Wayzata Blvd. Follow to the right until Barry Ave. Turn left on Barry Ave and go straight at stop sign to cross railroad tracks. Driving time from MSP Airport is about 30-minutes.
PARKING: Off-street in residential area; or meters.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS: Contact Event Director or go to our website.