It is now Pacific Time (PDT) on .
Sun, Jul 19, 2020
Mon, Aug 31, 2020
JOIN THE AQUATIC CAPITAL OF AMERICA FOR
The COVID-19 VIRTUAL SWIM, PADDLE and/or ROW TO HAWAII
Many athletic events have been cancelled due to the pandemic, and the 2020 Naples Island Swims and SUP event hosted by Aquatic Capital of America (ACOA) in Long Beach, CA is no exception. Generally our largest fundraiser each year, the Board of Directors of ACOA, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public benefit corporation, looked for another way to attract all water sports enthusiasts who have found their races cancelled and training/exercise options severely reduced for the past several months.
Our answer? Swim, paddle, or row to Hawaii during the month of August!
WHO: You! Also, all your watery friends doing any water activity that can be individually measured for distance while, of course, socially distancing.
WHAT: The distance between Long Beach, California and Honolulu, Hawaii is 2,558 miles. This equates to 4,502,080 yards or to 4,116,702 meters (1 yard = .9144 meters, one meter = 1.0936 yards)
Yes, this is a HUGE distance. Here is how we will do it – as a group! Each person wishing to participate will register, pay an entry fee of US$35, and we will total ALL the distance covered by the entire group.
WHEN: The entire month of August
WHERE: Any navigable body of water that allows swimming, paddling or rowing - oceans, bays, lagoons, lakes, ponds - anywhere you can track or use your best estimate of how far you have moved (measured in or converted to yards)
WHY: The impact of funds raised through this event will help ACOA to continue growing our programs even through these unprecedented times.
HOW: You choose!
- To pay swim lessons fees for youths into underserved, primarily minority, areas of Long Beach (Every Child a Swimmer)
- Assist local aquatic organizations and athletes with expenses associated with coaching and training
- Offer scholarships toward the cost of college for high achieving high school seniors planning to continue their aquatics sports activities in college
HOW MUCH: US$35.00 payable online when you register.
- What method to use, as long as you are on/in the water, or using VASA or Concept II erg trainers with computerized displays showing the distance covered
- How much distance to cover daily during August
- How many rest days you take
Your credit card statement will reflect a charge from "ClubAssistant.com Events."
HOW DO I REGISTER: Online through Club Assistant. Click on the "Register Online Now!" button at top of bottom of this page. Entries are accepted at any time during the month of August.
SWAG: Yes! Each participant will receive a high-quality 100% cotton T-shirt and a medal commemorating your participation, both designed for this event. Your Swag will be mailed to you as soon as possible after you register, but no later than mid-September.
- Prevailing local social distancing directives should be followed
- Open to all ages and nationalities
- No age group competitions – this is a group effort!
- 4 divisions - Swim, Row, Paddle, Lifeguard
- Teams - You may enter as part of a team. Teams may represent
- Official national governing body clubs for the various sports represented in the event
- Loosely organized workout groups of 2 or more individuals
- Lifeguard organizations (city, county, state, and/or national lifeguard services)
- Groups of friends who think this will be fun!
- Honor system for recording your distances
- GPS tracking not required, but is encouraged
- Share your comments, tracking and pictures on the Facebook Group Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/592771581669435
- Share your tracking and pictures on Instagram, using the hashtags #AquaticCapitalofAmerica, #SwimPaddleRowtoHawaii #Long BeachCA, and #HonoluluHI
- Tow floats, fins and hand paddles are allowed for swimmers
DAILY PROGRESS: Progress toward our goal of getting to Hawaii on or before August 31, 2020 will be updated daily and posted online. To log your individual distance throughout the month,
Once you submit your distance, click on the button for Overall Results to see the DAILY GROUP TOTALS. That page can also be sorted by Swim, Paddle, Row and Lifeguard, and a sort by Team feature is coming soon. QUESTIONS?
- Click on this link https://www.swimphone.com/meets/swimmers.cfm?smid=13443
- Find your name (alphabetical by last name) and click on it to take you to your individual Athlete Profile screen.
- You can bookmark your athlete Profile page if you want to go straight there in the future.
- If you want to see how others are progressing (or not), you can also bookmark the link shown above
- From the dropdown list to the right of Sport
- Pick your division for this entry
- Enter the date done
- Enter the yardage for that date and sport
- Enter the email address you used to register
- Click on the submit Submit button
- Repeat a-e if you did another sport on the same date, or if you also want to enter yardage for another date
- Your individual results will be automatically updated every time you Submit
Contact the Event Directors: Ryan Fox (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Lucy Johnson (email@example.com)
Note: If paying by credit card, your credit card statement will reflect a charge from "ClubAssistant.com Events."
Online Registration closed on 8/31/2020.