It is now 4:05 AM MT Time on Sunday, October 21, 2018.
Thu, Dec 7, 2017
Fri, Oct 12, 2018
The 2018 Virtual Swimtathlon League is a year-long, virtual pentathlon event where participants swim and submit times in stages. Five events are included in each pentathlon stage (Fly, Back, Breast, Free, and Individual Medley), and cumulative times are used for league standings and results.
New for 2018, a DISTANCE FREESTYLE Triathlon format will be added as a BONUS STAGE. Complete all three events for a cumulative time that includes the 500, 1000, and 1650 freestyle. Metric times (400, 800, and 1500) will be converted using the conversion tool on SwimSwam.com.
Also new for 2018, a DISABILITY ACCOMMODATIONS will be made for participants unable to swim any particular stroke. For example, those unable to swim breaststroke may substitute in another stroke (of choice), and that time will be adjusted using baseline of averages from past Swimtathlon League results. Strokes within any of the Individual Medley events may also be substituted and should be noted in the submission form.
Virtual Swimtathlon League standings and rankings will be updated monthly and posted online at the host website: FlowSwimmers.com. Certificates of accomplishment, compete with event rankings, will be presented at the end of each stage and at the end of Stage Four (18 cumulative events).
1. Swimmers and/or representatives submit times and challenges via the online TIME SUBMISSION FORM or by e-mail to the Event Director (Mark Johnston / Coach@FlowSwimmers.com). DISABILITY ACCOMMODATIONS should be noted on the submission form.
2. Submitted times may be from a meet OR during a practice. The only timing requirement is a stopwatch and an independent timer/verifier. This is an honor system event.
3. With the exception of backstroke, there will be a starting block adjustment of 1.5-seconds per event. For example, if the submitted time for a 50-yard free was 30.00, “from an in-water push,” then the official time would be 28.50 to compensate for the lack of a block.
4. In STAGE FOUR, swimmers may submit faster times for any of the eighteen Swimtathlon League events. The cumulative times for all fifteen events determine the final Swimtathlon League standings.
5. Times may be submitted in any course (SCY, SCM, and/or LCM); however, short course yards will be used for Swimtathlon League standings. The conversion tool at SwimSwam.com will be used for determination.
To allow for WORLDWIDE participation, swimmers are NOT required to be registered with any governing body. However, local program membership is HIGHLY encouraged, and anyone may join FLOW Swimmers where $100 of each membership is split between Flathead Lake Swim Guide and the USMS Swimming Saves Lives Foundation.
Age for the Virtual Swimtathlon League is determined as of Dec. 31, 2018, except for 18-year-olds, who must be 18 at the time of entry. Age groups for individual events: 18–24, 25–29, 30–34, 35–39 … (five year increments as needed).
Note #1: All times will be converted to short course yards using the online conversion tool at SwimSwam.com.
Note #2: DISABILITY ACCOMMODATIONS should be noted in the Time Submission for OR communicated by e-mail to the Event Director, Mark Johnston (Coach@FlowSwimmers.com).
Note #3: Except for backstroke, times achieved from an in-water start will be adjusted faster by 1.5-seconds.
Note #4: At any time, swimmers may submit new, improved times for any event from the current stage. During Stage Four, ALL times (18 events) may be challenged, improved and submitted monthly.
Virtual Swimtathlon League standings and results will be updated monthly and posted online at FlowSwimmers.com.
CERTIFICATES & AWARDS
Certificates of Accomplishment, complete with event standings, will be e-mailed to all participants at the end of each Swimtathlon Stage and at the completion of the 2018 event (all eighteen events).