It is now ET Time on .
Mon, Jan 14, 2019
Sat, Apr 27, 2019
This competition is limited to the first 36 entrants.
Currently there are 10 entrants.
Penn Heron Open Water Swimming is a premier US Masters Swimming registered club dedicated to providing the best in open water training clinics and events in central Pennsylvania.
Louise Hyder-Darlington, USMS Level 3 Coach, Head Coach Penn Heron OWS & Louise Darlington Coaching.
Blue Marsh Lake, Leesport, Pennsylvania. Old Church Road access and parking.
Penn Heron Open Water Swimming Club and Louise Darlington Coaching
Louise Darlington. Email: email@example.com
These clinics and events will use online registration only via “ClubAssistant.” No email or paper registration. By clicking on “Online Registration” link provided, you will be able to enter your USMS member ID OR become a USMS member OR elect a one-time event registration fee (separate payment accepted at the USMS website). Once this step is completed you will be able to then register and pay separately for the Penn Heron events of your choice.
All online registrations are paid by credit card to “ClubAssistant.com Events”.
All Penn Heron OWS clinics and events are open to US Masters registered swimmers 18 years or older. To register for any Penn Heron OWS event or clinic, you MUST provide proof of current USMS membership, become a USMS member or elect to purchase a one- time only event registration (OEVT). You may complete your USMS membership registration during your clinic/event registration process.
Joining Penn Heron Open Water Swimming Club (PENN):
You can choose to join our growing central Pennsylvania open water community and support these events by choosing Penn Heron Open Water Swimming as your USMS club affiliation when you become a USMS member. Just select “PENN” as your USMS club of choice when you become a Masters Member. Choosing PENN as your club affiliation is free and will not cost you anything when joining US Masters.
One Time Event (OEVT) Registration instructions:
You can choose not to join as a full USMS member but want to register for these events. You can choose the OEVT registration for one event and you will pay an OEVT fee of $20. This will complete your one time registration and clear you to participate in the singular Penn Heron OWS event.
Saturday, May 11, 2019: Open Water Club Opener and Clinic
Premier open water training clinic in lake with buoy marked course with full in water kayak support and safety. Skills clinic run by event director to cover sighting, starts, turns, and drafting.
9:00am – 12:00pm. Open course. Swim a lot or a little.
Space limited to 30 swimmers
Sunday, May 12, 2019: Escorted Long Swims - SOLD OUT !!!! email event info for wait list details
Introductory clinic for swimmers training for 1+ mile open water events under escort. Swimmers will be partnered with their own kayaker to complete a distance determined by the swimmer (minimum 1 mile, maximum 3.0 miles). Excellent for triathletes and new distance swimmers.
9:00 – 10:30am. Swims will not exceed 1.5 hours
Space limited to 3 swimmers
Kayaker escort will be provided and is part of registration fee
Sunday, May 12, 2019: Escort Kayaker Clinic
Training clinic for kayakers interested in learning how to escort open water swimmers. Training in navigation, feeding, swimmer fatigue, stroke count, pacing, safety and medical considerations.
11:00am – 12:30pm
Space limited to 3 kayaker students
Training will take place in water in tandem with experienced kayakers. 30 minute training on land included
Students MUST provide their own kayaks and safety gear/ life vest. Students kayakers MUST register with USMasters by purchasing a one-time event registration *(if student kayaker is not a current USMS member)
Registration DEADLINE for all events:
Saturday April 27, 2019, 12:00 noon
$45.00 May 11 Opener and Clinic
$60 May 12 Escorted Long Swim (kayaker provided)
$80 May 12 Escort Kayaker Training Clinic
$2.50 Online Registration Service Fee (required per each event)
$5.00 Penn Heron Open Water Swimming Swim Cap (silicon/optional)
You may register for both Saturday and Sunday events.
Detailed Information for Swimmers and Student Kayakers
Swimming Refund, Transfers and Cancellation Policy
- Safety Gear: All swimmers MUST wear a personal open water swim buoy. These buoys attach at the swimmer’s waist and are worn for visual location of swimmers and safety. These buoys are available at sport retailers and online. No swimmer will be allowed to participate in any swim portion of the events without a personal swim buoy. Questions can be sent to the event director email.
- Swim Wear: Swimmers may wear wetsuits and/or traditional swim suits. Swimmers are able to bring along additional gear such as fins and paddles for the purpose of adding to their individual training during the clinic. The event director, safety personnel and volunteers are not responsible for loss or damage of personal swimmer property.
- Pacing Gear and MP3 players: Swimmers are not allowed to wear pacing and music devices in their ears during any swim portion of the clinic. Swimmers may wear ear plugs for the purpose of ear protection. Any devices for pacing or entertainment which might impede verbal commands to the swimmer while in open water are not permitted in any swim portion of the event.
- Rules for Clinics and Events: Penn Heron Open Water Swimming and Louise Darlington Coaching operate in accordance with USMS Open Water and Long Distance Swimming, Article 301 ~ 304 , 2018 U.S. Masters Swimming Rule Book (https://www.usms.org/rules).
- Water Temperature: Water temperatures at Blue Marsh Lake in May range from 64-68F and continue to warm throughout the spring and summer approaching high 76-78F by late August.The event director will post temperature updates 7 days prior to the first event. Temperature updates will post on Facebook @LouiseDarlingtonCoaching. U.S.G.S. water information for Blue Marsh Lake is also available at https://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=01470870&PARAmeter_cd=00062,62615,62614
There are no refunds except in the case of partial or total cancellation of the clinics or events (see Cancellation Policy). There are no transfers of slots in swim or kayak clinics and events.
Penn Heron Open Water Swimming club clinics and events operate under the rules and administrative regulations of U.S. Masters Swimming (2018 Rule Book). As outlined under these rules, the event director is responsible for partial or total cancellation of an event or clinic. With the exception of pre-cancellation, conditions under which postponement/cancellation of a swim, stoppage of a swim in progress and/or cancellation of the entire event usually involves issues that cannot be fully known ahead of time. Safety of all persons involved in and those attending/supporting the event is of the utmost priority at all times and determine cancellations and possible event postponement on the day of the event. In the event of cancellation, we will not reschedule a clinic or event. This policy will be in effect for all scheduled clinics and events.
Penn Heron OWS Swim Caps:
Penn Heron Swim Caps are available to purchase. Those purchasing caps in their registration will receive their swim caps at the event. Caps are soft silicon. Color is white background with the Penn Heron logo in black on both sides of the cap.
There will be light refreshments available at the clinics and events. Athletes are highly encouraged to bring their own hydration and feeds/fuel for best performance during the clinics.
Directions and Amenities:
The clinics will take place at the Old Church Road access location of Blue Marsh Lake located outside of Leesport, Pennsylvania. For GPS it is recommended to use the address: https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Blue-Marsh-Lake/
Registered athletes should familiarize themselves with directions to the Old Church Access location, which is locate approximately 5 miles north of the main Dry Brooks access area. Off road parking is available and located next to the event location. The clinics are situated in a grassy area that is moderately wheel chair accessible. There is a portable toilet located at the event. The event will provide 1-2 athlete changing tents (same sex use) for registered athletes.
Note: If paying by credit card, your credit card statement will reflect a charge from "ClubAssistant.com Events."
Online Registration closed on 4/27/2019.