Level 4 is a portfolio style application and has no classroom component. The body of work is scored on a point system and is based on criteria set forth by the USMS Coaches Committee. A Level 4 applicant must be a head coach or an assistant coach with significant responsibilities for their Masters team. At Level 4, we are looking for the coach to expand their influence and contributions beyond their team. There are opportunities to score points around the team and its accomplishments (such as growth and retention, team achievement in events, hosting clinics or meets). However, we are also looking for the coach’s own personal growth in education, a commitment to leadership, and contributions at the local, regional or national level of Masters swimming.
Mandatory Pre-Requisites for Level 4 Certification:
- Must be a current USMS member and a USMS Level 3 Masters Certified Coach.
- Must have at least five years of Masters coaching experience.
- Must hold current American Red Cross certification for either Lifeguarding or CPR-AED AND Safety Training for Swim Coaches/First Aid.
- Must earn a minimum of 650 total points on the application, scoring points in at least two areas in each category.
- Must be a Head Coach or Assistant Coach of your Masters team with significant responsibility in team operations (beyond coaching workouts). If an Assistant Coach, please have your Head Coach write a short letter that outlines the scope of services you provide as an Assistant Coach with your Masters team.
Points are awarded based on the areas of coaching that reflect the values of United States Masters Swimming. They are:
- Growth & Retention
- Extra Credit
Please download the application and instructions here.Application Instructions:
You may submit your application and supporting documentation as a single PDF file to email@example.com
from May 15 to July 15, 2022.
A review panel selected by the USMS coaches committee will review your application and documents and notify you by August 15, 2022
if you have any deficiencies in your application. You may submit additional supporting documents for the deficiencies between August 16 and September 1, 2022
. The Subcommittee will re-evaluate revised applications and the Level 4 certifications will be announced at the USMS annual meeting to be held in September 2022
, during the coaches committee meeting and to the House of Delegates.Fee:
The application fee is $50. Coaches with the USMS-Certified Masters Coach designation
will be eligible to receive a $10 discount.Application questions:
Please direct your questions to the USMS coaches committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org