FEATURE EVENT: 2018 USMS MIDDLE DISTANCE OPEN WATER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP (2 miles)
Reston Masters Swim Team is proud to host the 2018 USMS Middle Distance Open Water National Championship (2 miles). This event is open to currently registered members of USMS or a FINA-member national governing body. Category I swimwear is required for the championship. Swimmers with One-Event registrations and/or CAT II swimwear shall not be eligible to compete in the Championship Race (but are eligibile to swim in all other races and the practice swim).
- Sanction: Sanctioned by Potomac Valley LMSC for USMS, Inc., Sanction #:108-W001
- Location: Lake Audubon, Reston, VA
- Course Map: 1-mile open water course (map)
- Host: Reston Masters Swim Team
- Event website: JMLS Event Information
- Facebook: JMLS Facebook Page
- Info: Lynn Hazlewood, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Timing and scoring: Lin-Mark Sports (Chronotrack authorized timing company)
- Online Entries: This event will use online entries only — No Paper Entries
- Payment: Online entries are paid by credit card to "ClubAssistant.com Events".
- Eligibility: Event is open to U.S. Masters registered swimmers 18 years and older or Masters Swimming members of a FINA member federation. To register for the event, you must provide proof of current membership or purchase a One Event registration (OEVT). You may take care of membership registration during your event entry process.
- OEVT Instructions: During online registration you will pay the OEVT fee of $30. That will complete your One Event registration.
Events offered (to be swum in the order listed):
Swimmers may enter the 1-Mile Practice Swim, 1-Mile Race, and either the 2-mile national championship or the 2-mile non-championship race (we will not be running separate races, but will separate the championship from the non-championship by time). OEVT and/or CAT II swimmers are not allowed to enter the national championship race.There will be Chip timing for all swims.
Saturday, May 26: Open Water briefing plus Practice Swim
- Open Water Clinic: Prior to the practice swim, there will be an open water briefing followed by a Q&A session.
- 1-Mile Practice swim on race course (entry limit 250 swimmers; time limit 50 minutes after last wave starts)
Sunday, May 27: Race Day
- 1-mile Races (CAT I & CAT II divisions; entry limit 400 swimmers; time limit 50 minutes after last wave starts)
- 2-mile Races (entry limit for combined 2-mile races 400 swimmers)
2-mile National Championship Race (time limit 90 minutes after last wave starts)
2-mile Non-Championship Races (time limit 90 minutes after last wave starts)
- Standard Entries: Standard entry deadline is 11:59 pm on May 18, 2018
- Late Entries: Late entry deadline is 11:59 pm on May 23, 2018. Late entries are subject to double fees as defined under Fee Schedule below.
- Seeding: All swimmers will be seeded according to their entry times.
- Note: There will be no day of entries.
Fee schedule: There are no refunds, no deferrals, and no selling/transfer of slots in race.
Standard Fees (by May 18)
Late Fees (May 19 - 23)
$30 Event Entry Fee (required)
|$60 Event Entry Fee (required)
$1.50 Online Entry Service Fee (required)
|$1.50 Online Entry Service Fee (required)
|$30 OEVT Fee (One-Event Registration Fee)
||$30 OEVT Fee (One-Event Registration Fee)
|$15 1-Mile Practice Swim (Saturday)
||$30 1-Mile Practice Swim (Saturday)
|$40 Per Race Entry (Sunday)
||$80 Per Race Entry (Sunday)
Online entries are paid by credit card to "ClubAssistant.com Events".
- Seeding: Swims are seeded fast to slow using the 1650 yard time. Seeding is by waves with 25 swimmers per wave.
- Timing Chips: Participants in races and practice swim will wear timing chips.
- Temperature Restrictions: No wetsuits or heat retaining swimwear in water above 78 degrees. If swimmers are not able to meet the requirements for CAT I swimwear, then they may swim in CAT II with non-heat retaining swimwear and other swimwear configurations allowed in CAT II (see Swimwear Categories below).
- Scoring Divisions for Races: Scoring divisions are divided by gender, five year age groups and swimwear category. All scoring divisions in a race swim simultaneously, but are scored separately. You may swim in only one scoring division for each race distance. With the exception of the National Championship, you may change your Swimwear Category at the starting line.
- Swimwear Categories: USMS Category I (CAT I): swimsuits shall be made from textile materials; may not be buoyant or heat retaining; for both men and women, the swimsuit shall not cover the neck and shall not extend past the shoulder nor below the ankles. USMS Category II (CAT II): all other swimsuits, including wetsuits; no restriction on coverage. There are other differences, which you should be familiar with, so there are no surprises on race day. Swimwear categories are defined in "Article 303.7.2 Swimwear for Open Water Events" (www.usms.org/rules/part3.pdf, 2018 USMS Rule Book, pg 69).
- Practice Swim Times: There will be no scoring for place for the practice swim. Times will be published in alphabetical order.
- Awards: Awards will be given for the 2-Mile National Championship for 1st through 6th place. Awards for non-championship races will be given to 1st through 3rd place for age group scoring divisions.
- T-shirts: Each 1-mile or 2-mile race participant will receive a maximum of one t-shirt with their entry.
- Food: Lunch and drinks will be provided on Sunday only. Please remember to also bring your own fluids.
- Host Hotel: Marriott Courtyard Herndon Reston, Rooms available at $89 per night for May 25-27 on the Marriott Reservation System. Book by April 27th, 2018 to get the special rate. Click Here to make a Reservation on-line or call and ask at 1 800 321 2211 or (703)-478-9400 for the Jim McDonnell Lake Swim Room Block at the Courtyard Herndon Reston located at 533 Herndon Parkway, Herndon VA 20170-5226
- Benefit: The Jim McDonnell Lake Swims donate a portion of the event proceeds to charity. The 2017 recipients were Lymphoma Research Foundation, Herndon-Reston F.I.S.H. and Swimming Saves Lives Foundation..